Do you really know what your ‘Major Definite Purpose’ is?
According to Napoleon Hill the founder and creator of ‘The Napoleon Hill Foundation’, he said it best:
“A definite purpose is not success, but it is the first step which you must take before you can achieve SUCCESS, and if you refuse or neglect taking it you will soon find yourself drifting in one of those little boats, riding aimlessly over the sea of life, a victim of winds and the waves of circumstance. Very soon this “drifting” becomes a fixed habit, and habits, whether good or bad, are hard to break up or change.” –Napoleon Hill
The process of knowing your Major Definite Purpose: is a never ending one; it changes as your needs change as you get older or mature, or if your life situation changes, for example if you start a business.
But whatever stage of life you’re in the process remains the same:
- What’s the ‘big-picture‘ of my definite purpose
- What do you want and what can you achieve
- Set smart goals based on achieving what you really want
- Prepare action plans that allow you to launch into action
- Monitor the progress of your goals.
The most successful entrepreneurs in my industry has told me that you need to take MASSIVE ACTION to succeed and achieve your best life satisfaction.
And to be motivated to act, you must have GOALS – as well as the right attitude of course. Remember that YOU are the only person who can take control over your life, so do it NOW!
Here are some quick success TIPS to help you get on the right track to defining your ‘Major Definite Purpose’:
Think about the following questions:
- What is your definition of success (for you)?
- What is your definition of failure?
- What makes you eternally happy?
- What makes you sad, or what would you rather not end up doing?
- What would your life look like if it were perfect?
Set Goals – regularly
- It is well known that people with goals succeed, and people who succeed have goals.
- Goals MUST be meaningful and personal – otherwise you won’t be inspired to achieve them.
- Goals give you something to aim for.
- Goals help you focus your time and energy on achieving the right things.
- Goals give you motivation; because goals are MEANINGFUL and personal to you and you’ll look forward to achieving them.
- Goals help you break up seemingly impossible dreams into manageable, bite-sized pieces.
- Your goals will change as your life progresses. Understand that goal setting is a dynamic and never-ending process if you want your life to be a success.
Know what ‘success’ means to you
- What does ‘success’ mean to you – in your career, personal life and relationships. What do you REALLY want?
- Know that your idea of success needs to be personal and meaningful to YOU.
- Know that being successful brings satisfaction and contributes to your overall happiness.
- Understand that ‘success’ isn’t measured in dollars, it’s measured in how happy and satisfied you feel.
- Understand that happiness is NOT achieved from material possessions, hence understand the fallacy of western society’s culture of consumerism
- Visualise your ‘success’ so that you can strive towards it.
- Identify a suitable ‘successful’ role model and observe and emulate how they dress, behave and act. Learn their success secrets for becoming successful people. BUT – be yourself too.
- Learn the skills required for success – communication and professionalism.
- Dress for success – dress to the standards of the job you want [taking appropriate work uniform requirements into account of course!]. Dress like your boss, if your goal is to one day do his/her job.
- Always be ethical, honest and act with integrity.
- Use your initiative and always be on the lookout for opportunities.
- Use the law of attraction to your advantage.
It’s all about YOU!
- You are unique and will have a unique set of dreams and desires – follow these, and not anyone else’s.
- Your personality is also unique to you, and will influence your idea of success and how you achieve it.
- Understand how your personality influences your success and use this to help you achieve.
- Know your personal strengths and weaknesses, and use this knowledge to your advantage.
- Always be honest with yourself and your abilities.
Get the right attitude
- 90% of success is about your personal attitude.
- Know that positive attitude is a powerful force in achievement.
- Know that a negative attitude is destructive to your happiness and your ability to succeed.
- Know that your attitude and your mood is governed by you alone and your thoughts – no-one else can control your attitude.
- Get a positive attitude by exposing your self to positive people, images and media – and avoid negative influences.
- Use visualisation and positive reinforcement to get the message.
- There is no point having READY and AIM if there is no FIRE.
- Know that no-one has achieved success by sitting on their butt [excuse the language].
- Know that to achieve success you must TAKE ACTION.
- For action you need ‘Motivation’, which comes from having goals and the right attitude.
- Use Action Plans with deadlines to guide you. If goals are your target destination, action plans are your road map to success.
- Understand that 90% of what you do will involve other people, and that achieving your personal success will also involve other people.
- Understand that you will achieve more by fostering good relationships with other people.
- Just as you are unique and have personal likes and dislikes, so do other people.
- Understand yourself, and how other people react to you. Use this understanding to your advantage, so you can better foster good relationships.
- It’s not always about you! 🙂
- This is the concept of ‘Emotional Intelligence’ (EQ) and is one of life’s poorly understood success secrets. Understand that people with a high EQ are more likely to succeed than people with a low EQ.
Manage your career
- Understand that your ‘career’ occupies more of your waking hours than anything else. Make this time count and enjoy it!
- Understand that being a ‘stay-at-home’ mum or dad is a career – not a vacation, so make it a rewarding one.
- Understand that you can achieve happiness through job satisfaction and success.
- Embrace the saying “If you truly love your job, you’ll never work a day in your life.”
- Embrace the concept of continuous improvement – aim to be the best in your marketplace.
- Be proactive in building your business – always be evolving and never stay dormant.
Manage yourself – get life skills
As well as the specific skills you need for your career, particular ‘self-management’ skills will help you be successful in all aspects of life:
- Time management– know how to make the most of the time you have.
- Planning and organisation– understand that being organized will help you achieve your goals a lot faster.
- Decision making and problem solving– know how to make the right decisions and solve problems.
- People skills– Understand that 90% of what you do will involve other people, and that achieving your personal success will also involve other people.
- Attitude and motivation– understand that YOU are the only person who can make your life happen the way you want it to and that your attitude and motivation are critical to your success.
And most importantly…
The grand-daddy of all success secrets: DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY! 🙂
Here’s to your success! 🙂
Download Your FREE Major Definite Purpose Formula Worksheet: HERE